Tuesday, November 13, 2007

WRONG NUMBER

Read the below story..........a very beautiful
one!!!!!!!!!!!

WRONG NUMBER

It was the day of my son's XII results and I was so
tensed. I sat beside him while he logged on the
website with his registration no. "Ma", he screamed in
excitement," I scored 1191, with centum in 4 subjects.
I cant believe it. " I kinda became numb in my
excitement. My eyes became wet. I kissed him on his
forehead and smiled.

Soon we realized that he stood first in the state. Oh,
my joy knew no bounds when Reporters and media persons
soon swamped my house for interviews and photos. I was
so honored to join him in the snaps.

I wanted to call my "wrong-number-friend to tell him
the news......I was so excited. He was someone whom I
have known for more than 20 years.

I still do not remember when we became friends, but
certainly cannot forget the first day he called me
when I blasted him for giving me so many wrong
calls.....after that he had called up a week later
asking apology, for he had now got the right no of his
friend whom he wanted to talk to .We spoke for an hour
that day...even without knowing each other's names.
Though he kept pestering me to reveal my name I never
did and so he kept a name...Sweety. I used to get so
shy whenever he called me 'Sweety'. I was doing first
year of BSc. Maths then, and he was a Computer
Engineering student.


From then he used to call me very often . We almost
discussed everything ..


By the final year of my college, we probably we were
in love, but I had been cautious. I was in a dilemma
whether to tell him. But what if he was of a different
religion? Do I have the courage to talk to my parents
about it? ........all these questions ran through my
mind.


I decided I'll not talk to him thereafter. When he
called next time I lied to him I that I was going to
Delhi for my post graduation. He gave me his office
number and asked me to ring him up once I reach there.
I never called .......

A couple of months later my marriage got fixed with a
guy of my parent's choice. I was not happy but I did
not complain; rather accepted it as an obedient
daughter. At times I felt I missed my wrong- number-
friend.......

My hubby was a moody person; I have hardly spent any
good time with him- but he was genuine indeed and
never bothered my personal space. After 2 years we had
a boy...Yet,I was not very happy with my married
life...One day I happened to browse through my diary
and found I still had my old friend's office phone no
that he had given me. I dialed it and spoke with him.
He said he was married and got a kid too. I was happy
for him though in the bottom of the heart I felt bad
that I could not marry him.

From then I used to occasionally call him on that
number. I never gave him mine as I felt that would put
me in trouble... And till today I almost shared
everything with him including my relationship with my
hubby.....today I was so happy and I wanted to call
him.


Just then I got a call. "Your husband met with an
accident and died on the spot"


I banged the phone down. I broke. I did not call my
friend.....I somehow started feeling guilty. I have
never tried to talk to him properly when he was alive
or moved close with him.... I felt I had been a bad
wife........


A couple of years passed and one day my son brought
home a Bengali girl and said they wanted to get
married. I got them married as I did not want my son
to go through what I did.


I decided to give my son his father's room and started
clearing it. There was a phone book. I gently opened
it to find, " Wrong no Sweety -26579785"


God always puts the right numbers together. Its we who
interpret it wrong!!!

No comments: